Return to Menu

Victoria Gate

Taken 2007

This gate replaced the original which was called Porta del Monte. The foundation stone was laid 27th May 1884 & was designed by Maltese archetect Emanuel Luigi Galizia.

Probably pre-WW1.
Photo courtesy of Jason Pisani

Taken possibly just pre WWII..
Photo courtesy of Cheryl Beasley

Probably taken 1944/45. Note damaged left side of central coat of arms & missing side carvings.
Photo courtesy of Margaret Hodgson

This is the original gate called Porta del Monte which stood from the days of the Knights but was redesigned in the early 18th Century. Photo shows it being demolished to make way for the building of Victoria Gate. This was necessary to allow better access to this part of Valletta.
Photo courtesy of Jason Pisani